Sunday, November 17, 2013

It's That Time of Year


It's that time of year again, and yes, I know it is a little early, but I mean who doesn't love Christmas. It has been quite the weekend because on Saturday it snowed all day, and I mean ALL DAY. I decided that it was going to be a craft weekend! I invited my friend, Dani, to make them with me because you always have to have a friend, right? My family and I got in the car and went to pick her up, unfortunately we hadn't got the supplies before, so we had to go Michaels. I could literally spend all day in Michaels and surprisingly we only spent an hour or so in there. We got mini gingerbread houses, mini Christmas trees, cotton ball snowmen, ribbon, fake snow, glitter, almost anything you can imagine that would go in a snow globe. We then headed over to Smiths and got a box full of jars. Home at last!

Now to the making of the snow globes. When I first came across this craft on Pinterest it was the one with water and that was the one we were going to make, but we found out that the dry ones turned out cuter! It took a while for us to get in the groove, but in no time we were crafting away. After opening the glitter I set it down and when I moved my hand it spilled everywhere, it got all over the floor and the table. It was quite the adventure cleaning it up. Back the making the water ones, after we put the lid on, the water turned green, things started to come unglued, the glitter floated to the top and when you shook it it became all foamy. We realized we forgot one thing which I am guessing was pretty important, glycerin, we were suppose to put in the water and I'm guessing it kept the snow globe from doing all the things listed above. I personally think that the dry ones are cuter and easier and you don't have to worry about the jar leaking or breaking.

What You'll Need:

-a small or large glass jar (I got a box of them at Smiths)

-something to glue to the lid (mini christmas tree, figurines etc.)

-glitter

-hot glue

-fake snow

Instructions:

Step 1: Wash out your jar/lid completely

Step 2: Glue your "something" to the inside of the lid


Step 3: Add your fake snow to the bottom of the jar, a little more than 1/2 an inch. If you wish you can add a little glitter, snowflakes or mini bells, I did that to one of mine!


Step 4: Keep the jar upright and put the lid on.


Step 5: Flip the jar so it is sitting on the lid. To make it more appealing you can add ribbon or glue cotton balls around the lid.


Step 6:


If you want to learn how to make a water snow globe go to: Craftaholics 


No comments:

Post a Comment